Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Surgery

One April 24, 2013, I had a double mastectomy.  On the left side it could be described more like a modified radical mastectomy with lymph node dissection.  There really was not any reason to take the right side, but I am vain enough to want to be balanced.  Plus the fact that I wouldn't ever have to wear a bra again and that I would be more aerodynamic for my running weighed on my mind as well.  Also, if I ever chose to have breast reconstruction they would truly be considered twins.  

Mom met Nick and I at the hospital early in the morning.  We didn't have to wait too long before we were called back to pre-op.  they took my weight, my vitals, and even a little urine.  I got an IV almost immediately, gave me a few drugs to help me relax, and some antibiotics to prevent any infection.  After that it was wait time.  

While we waited, a nurse named Renee from MSTI (Mountain States Tumor Institute) came to visit me.  We had exchanged quite a few messages, but we had never spoken or met in person.  She was a nurse navigator which basically means she walks us through the whole MSTI experience.  If I need any support she can refer to different groups and classes, etc.  She was super kind and helpful.  She also brought me a few gifts.  The first was a charm bracelet with a breast cancer charm.  It was very nice.  The second was a necklace of sorts.  It was a homemade beaded necklace made by a breast cancer survivor.  It was meant to hold and support the drains after surgery.  It was very thoughtful and a great gift.  

A little while later we saw our surgeon.  He marked the correct sides so that he wouldn't take the lymph nodes from the wrong side.  He then went over any questions that I may have.   I din't really have many, so he said he would see me once he was finished with the patient ahead of me.  He said the expected amount of time in surgery would be anywhere from 3-4 hours.  

Before I knew it, they were sweeping me away from my mom and husband and into surgery.  After that, I don't remember much until I came to in the recovery room.  

Pretty quickly my husband was able to come to the recovery room, and before I knew it I was up in my room for the night.  Mom was there waiting for me, and even Dad was on his way over.  I felt pretty good for the most part.  I was just a bit weak and tired which is to be expected.  

Soon everyone left at my request.  Nick needed to be with the boys, and Mom and Dad needed their rest.  I needed my rest too. but that is sometimes hard when your staying in the hospital.  My blood pressure was quite low, so my monitor went off every few minutes.  Also, my nurses did my vitals at least every two hours and gave me pain medication as well.  I couldn't sleep for long.

Soon morning came.  With morning came my surgeon.  He told me that he removed the expected lymph nodes.  He also went on the tell me that he removed more than the expected because of my decision to not do chemo.  I wasn't too happy about that part, but I know he felt like he was doing me a favor.  So I had six less lymph nodes.  I could live with it.  He described the process as chasing the lymph nodes.  If they felt hard, he took them out.  He staged my cancer as 3C.  

Again at this time he encouraged me to think more on the subject of chemo and radiation. I told him I would keep an open mind.  He was happy with that at least.  

He left by saying he would call me as soon as the pathology report came back.  I thanked him, and then I waited to have my sleeve fitted and be discharged.  I was ready to be home.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the updates. Keep them coming! Love you

    ReplyDelete